Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Moving from Bugzilla to Trac

I decided to make the move from Bugzilla to Trac. Despite the articles I read, I seem to like the Trac UI. We have a small software development environment and Bugzilla was not a fit for us.

Why I Chose Bugzilla?
I was first drawn to Bugzilla because a lot of Free Software Projects use it. Red Hat Bugzilla is one, and they have integrated nicely with there color scheme.

Bugzilla Pro's

  • It integrates nicely with external Authentication (In my case AD)
  • Always adding new features
  • Edit Multiple Bugs at Once
Bugzilla Con's
  • Must abide by the way Bugzilla works
    •  Can't edit Description or comments
  • No integration for Customizable Reports (The search is very extensive though)
Overall I like Bugzilla. I would recommend it to large software projects. Especially if they were open to the public.

Tried Redmine

I did make an attempt with Redmine. It seems a little bloated. I just don't need certain things (Forum, News). It doesn't have multi-branch support. You have to create a project for each branch. That really doesn't work for me. It was able to setup AD Authentication in about five minutes though.

The Trac Advantage

What I like most about Trac is everything is integrated. Run a search and you will find everything (Wiki, Tickets, Milestones and Changesets). I just seems to make sense to me. I really like being able to make links to changesets in a Ticket or linking to Source in the Wiki for documentation. There doesn't seem to be much confusion when creating a ticket because there isn't many options (I see it as a good thing). I can edit ticket descriptions and comments if I make a mistake (I know you don't make mistakes), plus view the difference.

Trac Pro's
  • Integrated Wiki and Source within a single search
  • Support for Bazaar
  • Ability to easily link to anything (wiki, source)
  • Amazing Source Browser
  • Timeline to Keep "Trac" of Changes "I could almost turn email OFF"
  • Custom Query and Reports. Ability to save and a simple syntax
  • Good documentation that is built in
Trac Con's
  • Had trouble with the Bazaar plugin. If I was more than one directory deep in a branch and did a log view, my server would crash. Completely run out of memory. I did find help on Launchpad Bzr Answer. I did add memory but I do think it would still crash.
  • Not much change to the core. This seems to come up in a lot of searches. I had trouble with an LDAP/AD plugin. This should be in the core. 
Overall I do think Trac is about simplicity. Keep it simple, stable and get out of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment